By TRG Alerts Admin
○ The US sent a warship very close to one of China’s artificial islands in the South China Sea, a potential challenge to Beijing’s territorial claims in the contested waters.
○ The decision to go ahead with the mission follows months of deliberation in Washington and is certain to China, which said last month it would “never allow any country” to violate what it considers to be its territorial waters and airspace around the islands.
○ China’s Foreign Ministry said the “relevant authorities” monitored, followed and warned the USS Lassen as it “illegally” entered waters near islands and reefs in the Spratlys without the Chinese government’s permission.
○ The Chinese Foreign Ministry expressed “strong discontentment” and “resolute opposition” over the incident.
○ The patrol could further strain US ties with China ahead of multilateral meetings to be attended by President Barack Obama and his counterpart, Xi Jinping, including the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum next month.
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
○ Location: 1210 NM ENE of Hilo, Hawaii
○ Wind: 50 mph
○ Movement: ENE at 18 mph
○ Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
■ Cases: 28,512 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Italy)
■ Deaths: 11,313 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, United States)
○ Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
■ Suspected Cases as of 27OCT: 575,281 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.)
■ Confirmed Cases: 24,388
■ Deaths as of 27OCT: 63 (Colombia, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Grenada, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Dominican Republic)
○ Cholera – Tanzania
■ Cases as of 27OCT: 971
■ Deaths as of 27OCT: 13
○ Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
■ Cases as of 27OCT: 1599 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
■ Deaths as of 27OCT: 574 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (28OCT)
Copyright 2018 The Rendon Group. Powered By Impressive Business WordPress Theme