By TRG Alerts Admin
○ TV comic and self-styled outsider Jimmy Morales swept to Guatemala’s presidency on the back of popular anger against the political class after huge anti-corruption protests helped oust the last government.
○ Morales, 46, won more than 69% of votes with results from more than 93% of polling stations counted.
○ The 46-year-old Morales overwhelmingly beat center-left rival and former first lady Sandra Torres in a run-off vote despite his lack of government experience and some policy ideas that strike many as eccentric.
○ Voters also pointed to a UN-backed investigation into a customs racket that led last month to the resignation and arrest of former president Otto Perez.
○ Morales is not without his blemishes; his political party and campaign have been endorsed by retired military officers who many connect with the brutally violent 36-year civil war that ended in 1996.
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
○ Location: 704 NM ENE of Hilo, Hawaii
○ Wind: 80 mph
○ Movement: NNE at 12 mph
○ Magnitude: 7.7
○ Depth: 213.5 km
○ Small ash eruption with no significant seismic activity. (Volcano Discovery)
○ Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
■ Cases: 28,512 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Italy)
■ Deaths: 11,313 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, United States)
○ Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
■ Suspected Cases as of 26OCT: 575,281 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.)
■ Confirmed Cases: 24,388
■ Deaths as of 26OCT: 63 (Colombia, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Grenada, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Dominican Republic)
○ Cholera – Tanzania
■ Cases as of 26OCT: 971
■ Deaths as of 26OCT: 13
○ Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
■ Cases as of 26OCT: 1599 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
■ Deaths as of 26OCT: 574 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (27OCT)
Copyright 2018 The Rendon Group. Powered By Impressive Business WordPress Theme