- AFRICA: Libyan government forces battled Islamic State snipers for streets of Sirte.
- AMERICAS: Acting Brazilian president Michel Temer declared that the senate must reach a verdict in the impeachment of suspended President Dilma Rousseff by 26AUG.
- ASIA: In Afghanistan, the Taliban seized control of areas in the strategically important Helmand province.
- EUROPE: An Istanbul court remanded 17 journalists in custody over links to Fethullah Gulen.
- MIDDLE EAST: Gaza’s Hamas handed out land hoping to avoid a fresh financial crisis.
- TECHNOLOGY: US Democrats said they had been targeted by yet another cyber attack, while Hillary Clinton’s campaign confirmed that an analytics program it used was breached in an earlier intrusion.
- Afghanistan: After lull, fresh operations in east and south; IS militants killed, Taliban seizes district in Helmand
o The army offensive launched in the strategically important Helmand province killed at least 30 Taliban members.
o Gul Agha, a commander of Afghan Local Police militia forces in Gereshk, said Taliban fighters overran five checkpoints in the district bordering the provincial capital.
o At least 25 policemen were killed.
o In the east, about 36 Islamic State (IS) group militants were killed in the province of Nangarhar within the last 24 hours.
- Burundi: The UN Security Council agreed to send police to the country to quell human rights abuses. (BBC)
- Libya: Government forces battled Islamic State snipers for streets of Sirte. (Reuters)
- Nigeria: The UN stated that nearly 50,000 kids are at risk of starvation due to the Boko Haram campaign. (WAPO)
- Brazil: Acting president Michel Temer declared that the senate must reach a verdict in the impeachment of suspended President Dilma Rousseff by 26AUG. (AFP)
- Brazil: Former President Lula will stand trial for obstruction charges. (Guardian)
- US: Hackers breached a computer service used by the campaign of Hillary Clinton. (AP)
- Afghanistan: The Taliban seized control of areas in the strategically important province of Helmand. (EFE)
- India: Two soldiers and two suspected rebels were killed in a gun battle in Kashmir near the disputed territory’s de facto border with Pakistan. (AFP)
- Japan: The US military is preparing to return part of the training area in Okinawa to the Japanese Government. (Kyodo)
- Germany: A court official confirmed that right-wing demonstrators will be allowed to march in protest against a rally planned this weekend in the western city of Cologne in support of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. (DPA)
- Turkey: An Istanbul court remanded 17 journalists in custody over links to Fethullah Gulen. (AFP)
- UK: According to a new poll, most Scots still back remaining in the UK, despite Britons voting to leave the EU. (Reuters)
- Palestinian territories: Gaza’s Hamas handed out land hoping to avoid a fresh financial crisis. (AP)
- Syria: The Russian Defense Ministry said it is willing to work with the United Nations on setting up humanitarian corridors in Aleppo. (AP)
- Syria: CIA Director John Brennan stated that he is not optimistic about the future of the country, saying “”I don’t know whether or not [it] can be put back together again.” (Reuters)’
- Yemen: The internationally recognized government delegation quit talks in Kuwait with Shiite Houthi rebels despite resuming them earlier this month. (AP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: US Democrats said they had been targeted by yet another cyber attack, while Hillary Clinton’s campaign confirmed that an analytics program it used was breached in an earlier intrusion. (AFP)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Agrihan, Northern Mariana Islands
- Magnitude: 7.7
- Depth: 212.4km
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 22JUL: 175,956 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 22JUL: 36,732
- Deaths as of 22JUL: 28
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 26JUL: 1,791 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 26JUL: 640 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 28JUL: American Samoa, Anguilla, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Guinea-Bissau, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United States, Vietnam, Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 28JUL: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Isla de Pascua (Chile).
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 28JUL: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (31JUL)
- Belarus: The mission of the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE ODIHR) to visit
- Malaysia: Warriors’ Day
- US and Russia: Anniversary of the USSR and the US signing the START treaty – 1991