- AFRICA: Ethiopia seeks urgent aid for 5.6 million people as the country faces a new drought.
- AMERICAS: Protesters amass at JFK, LAX, O’Hare, and other airports to decry Trump’s immigration policies.
- ASIA: A missing boat carrying Chinese tourists was found sunken off Malaysia’s Sabah state on North Borneo, and multiple survivors await rescue.
- EUROPE: UK Prime Minister Theresa May signed a $125 million fighter jet deal in the hopes that it will lead to Britain becoming Turkey’s main defense partner.
- MIDDLE EAST: A Palestinian gunman opened fire at Israeli soldiers on the outskirts of Ramallah, wounding three of them before being shot dead.
- TECHNOLOGY: Top US technology firms warned that Trump’s latest executive action, which impacts foreign-born immigrants, could impair their ability to compete.
- United States: Federal Judge Blocks Part of Trump’s Deportation Order
- A federal judge blocked deportations of those detained on entry after Trump’s executive order restricted immigration.
- The ruling stopped short of letting detainees into the country, or issuing a broader ruling on the constitutionality of Trump’s actions.
- The judge’s ruling extended to all individuals facing similar situations across the United States.
- The country denied entry to 109 travelers at the time the ruling was signed.
- The Department of Homeland Security agency will not say how many of the 109 have been detained and how many have been forced to return.
- Coverage: WP, NYT, Guardian, CNN, Al Jazeera
- Ethiopia: The country seeks urgent aid for 5.6 million people as it faces a new drought. (NYT)
- Libya: Report by the German Foreign Ministry finds that migrants face executions, torture, and other systematic rights abuses in camps. (Reuters)
- Mozambique: Rebel leader Afonso Dhlakama accused government forces of violating a ceasefire following a surge in deadly violence last year. (AFP)
- Canada: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the country welcomes refugees. (NYT)
- United States: Protesters amassed at JFK, LAX, O’Hare, and other airports to decry Trump’s immigration policies. (CNN)
- United States: Trump ordered an ISIS plan, talks with Putin and gives Bannon national security role (WP)
- Region: A missing boat carrying Chinese tourists was found sunken off Malaysia’s Sabah state on North Borneo, and multiple survivors were rescued. (Xinhua)
- Afghanistan: According to the Defense Ministry, Afghan security forces destroyed 6 heroin labs, as the war-hit country struggled to fight narcotics. (Xinhua)
- Afghanistan: A Taliban local leader and five associates surrendered in Afghanistan’s northern province of Kunduz. (Xinhua)
- Australia: Trump vowed to uphold an agreement with Australia to resettle asylum seekers held in Pacific island camps. (Bloomberg)
- Region: UK PM May signed a $125 million fighter jet deal in the hopes that it will lead to Britain becoming Turkey’s main defense partner. (Guardian)
- France: Trump expressed his desire to strengthen US-French cooperation on counterterrorism and security In a telephone conversation with Hollande. (Xinhua)
- Russia: White House deems call between Putin and Trump a ‘significant’ start to improving the relationship between the US and Russia. (FT)
- Iran: The country said it would stop US citizens from entering in retaliation for Washington’s visa ban against Tehran. (Reuters)
- Iraq: The country’s forces discovered a mustard chemical warfare agent in eastern Mosul alongside a cache of Russian surface-to-surface missiles. (AP)
- Israel: A Palestinian gunman opened fire at Israeli soldiers on the outskirts of Ramallah, wounding three of them before being shot dead. (Guardian)
- Yemen: Battles between Yemeni government forces and Shiite rebels on the country’s west coast have killed more than 100 fighters in the past 24 hours. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Top US technology firms warn that Trump’s latest executive action, which impacts foreign-born immigrants, could impair their ability to compete. (WP)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 27JAN: 394 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Suspected Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 349,936
- Confirmed Cases as of 27JAN: 64
- Confirmed Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 152,250
- Deaths as of 27JAN: 0
- Deaths (01JAN16-31DEC16): 172
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 91 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 27JAN: 1,888 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 27JAN: 670 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 20JAN: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montserrat, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States of America, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 20JAN: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 20JAN: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (30JAN)
- Italy: Prosecutors to question 5-Star Mayor of Rome Virginia Raggi as part of corruption probe
- Myanmar: Campaigning to start for 01APR parliamentary by-election
- Ukraine: Foreign Minister of Denmark Anders Samuelsen to visit (to 31JAN)
- United States: Jordanian King Abdullah to visit
- Vietnam: Anniversary of start of the Tet Offensive – 1968