- AFRICA: Extremist group al-Shabaab claimed its fighters killed at least 51 Kenyan soldiers in an attack on a military base in Somalia.
- AMERICAS: The US floated and backtracked on the idea of 20 percent tax on Mexican imports to pay for President Trump’s border wall.
- ASIA: Two Taliban militants were killed and four others wounded during an operation conducted by Afghan security forces in the province of Uruzgan.
- EUROPE: President Putin and President Trump are expected to talk by telephone 28JAN, their first conversation since Trump took office.
- MIDDLE EAST: The UN-hosted negotiations on the Syrian conflict in Geneva have been postponed until the end of FEB17.
- TECHNOLOGY: Facebook users can now use a security key to authenticate their identity during the login process.
- United States & United Kingdom: Trump and May to hold talks.
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May is to hold talks with President Trump in the Oval Office later.
- May’s meeting with Trump is being hailed by the British government as a sign that the trans-Atlantic “special relationship” is valued by the new administration.
- May’s break with interventionism that launched wars in Iraq and Afghanistan underscores a change in global politics, which fits with Trump’s ‘America First’ worldview.
- May is determined to put British-American relations on a more traditional track, as a government-to-government partnership.
- Trump’s need for a successful outcome became more acute when a spat with Mexico over his vow to build a border wall escalated and caused the cancellation of a visit to the White House next week by President Enrique Peña Nieto.
- Coverage: BBC, CNN, NYT, Reuters, WP
- The Gambia: New president Adama Barrow asked a West African military operation to remain in the country for six months. (Reuters)
- Somalia: Extremist group al-Shabaab claimed its fighters killed at least 51 Kenyan soldiers in an attack on a military base in Kulbiyow town. (AP)
- Somalia: Doctors Without Borders says it plans to return to the country after more than three years after closing its operations. (AP)
- Region: The US floated and backtracked on the idea of 20 percent tax on Mexican imports to pay for President Trump’s border wall. (AFP)
- Brazil: Since the start of 2017, the country has registered around 550 suspected cases of yellow fever. (Xinhua)
- Colombia: Dissident FARC rebels refusing to lay down their arms morphed into “pure organized crime” dedicated to cocaine production in the nation’s southern jungles. (Bloomberg)
- Region: Rescuers retrieved the bodies of four Indian soldiers beneath tons of snow in Kashmir taking the death toll from a series of avalanches to 20. (AFP)
- Afghanistan: Two Taliban militants were killed and four others wounded during an operation conducted by Afghan security forces in the province of Uruzgan. (Xinhua)
- Philippines: Philippine troops launched an operation that reportedly wounded Isnilon Hapilon, a terror suspect trying to establish a new base for the Islamic State group. (AP)
- Region: British finance minister Philip Hammond said Britain will respect its obligations under EU treaties while it seeks to strengthen trade ties with world partners. (Reuters)
- Germany: Vice Chancellor Sigmar Gabriel will take over as foreign minister in a cabinet reshuffle ahead of the national election in SEP17. (DPA)
- Russia: President Putin and President Trump are expected to talk by telephone 28JAN, their first conversation since Trump took office. (Reuters)
- Israel: Police questioned PM Benjamin Netanyahu for the third time as part of a corruption investigation into allegations of an improper relationship with an Israeli newspaper. (AP)
- Syria: Ten civilians, including a child, have been killed in Turkish airstrikes and shelling in and around Al-Bab held by the Islamic State group. (AFP)
- Syria: The UN-hosted negotiations on the Syrian conflict in Geneva have been postponed until the end of February. (Al Jazeera)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Facebook users can now use a security key to authenticate their identity during the login process. (TechCrunch)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Bogoslof, Alaska
- Ash eruption 9.14km in the air. (AP)
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 20JAN: 33 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Suspected Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 349,936
- Confirmed Cases as of 20JAN: 0
- Confirmed Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 152,250
- Deaths as of 20JAN: 0
- Deaths (01JAN16-31DEC16): 172
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 91 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 27JAN: 1,888 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 27JAN: 670 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 20JAN: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montserrat, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States of America, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 20JAN: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 20JAN: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (28JAN)
- China: Lunar New Year
- United States: Space Shuttle Challenger disaster – 1986