- AFRICA: The Sudanese army clashed with rebels in Darfur near the border with South Sudan.
- AMERICAS: Mercosur rejected Paraguay’s appeal to overturn its suspension from the trading group.
- ASIA: In Pakistan, gunmen attacked a NATO convoy in the northwest, killing at least one.
- EUROPE: Germany’s credit rating outlook was downgraded by Moody’s due to fears of an inability or unwillingness to hold the eurozone togethe
- MIDDLE EAST: Yemeni security officials reported five Al Qaeda linked militants were killed by airstrikes in Abyan.
- TECHNOLOGY: Amazon was reported to be working on “five or six” version of its Kindle Fire tablet.
- Syria: Specter of chemical weapons raised
- The government threatened to use chemical weapons in response to an attack by foreign powers.
- Rebel groups reported regime forces had deployed chemical weapon munitions to border areas.
- Western leaders warned Syria against employing chemical weapons.
- Clashes continued across the country, with fighting in Aleppo entering a fourth day.
- Coverage: NYT, Al Jazeera, Reuters, AFP, AP
- Region: South Sudan will offer an increased compensation package to Sudan in a bid to restart stalled negotiations, according to officials. (Reuters)
- Egypt: President Morsi asked Water Minister Qandil to form a new government. (BBC)
- Sudan: The army clashed with rebels in Darfur near the border with South Sudan. (Reuters)
- Zimbabwe: The EU lifted restrictions on aid to the country in an effort to encourage reform. (Reuters)
- Mexico: The National Human Rights Commission reported at least 16,000 bodies remain unidentified, most believed to be victims of the country’s drug war. (AP)
- Paraguay: Mercosur rejected the country’s appeal to overturn its suspension from the trading group. (Xinhua)
- Peru: President Humala stated he will shuffle his cabinet to calm anti-mining protests. (Reuters)
- United States: LTGEN Michael Flynn took over command of the DIA from LTGEN Ronald Burgess Jr. (AP)
- Afghanistan: The police, army and the NATO-led coalition forces killed 12 Taliban insurgents in five cleanup operations in Kabul, Baghlan, Kunduz, Zabul and Paktika provinces. (Xinhua)
- Afghanistan: An American engineer was killed by gunmen in the country’s north. (AP)
- India: The death toll from ethnic clashes in Assam rose to 22 despite an official curfew backed by shoot-on-sight orders. (AFP)
- Korea, North: The country deployed dozens of attack helicopters to the border. (AFP)
- Pakistan: Gunmen attacked a NATO convoy in the country’s northwest, killing at least one. (AP)
- Tajikistan: Eight soldiers were killed in clashes with an armed group suspected of being responsible for the recent death of a general. (AP)
- Region: Serbia asked UN SG Ban Ki-moon to respect its sovereignty over Kosovo. (AFP)
- Belarus: EU Foreign Policy Chief Ashton blasted Belarus over its ongoing opposition clampdown, saying there is “no place” for political prisoners in Europe. (AFP)
- Germany: The country’s credit rating outlook was downgraded by Moody’s due to fears of an inability or unwillingness to hold the eurozone together. (NYT)
- Greece: Representatives of the troika of lenders to the country arrive to gauge the country’s ability to fulfill its debt obligations. (BBC)
- Russia: Two militant gunmen were killed during a special operation in Dagestan. (Itar-Tass)
- Spain: The government wants a partial bailout from eurozone partners. (AFP)
- Region: Israel is ready to intervene militarily if there is any indication that the Hezbollah organization is accessing chemical weapons in Syria. (DPA)
- Iraq: Fresh gun and bomb attacks killed five across the country. (DPA)
- Yemen: Security officials reported five al Qaeda linked militants were killed by airstrikes in Abyan. (AP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Tablets: Amazon was reported to be working on “five or six” versions of its Kindle Fire tablet. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Typhoon Vicente
- Location: 110 NM W of Hong Kong
- Movement: WNW at 14 mph
- Winds: 120 mph
- Hurricanes (Pacific): 80% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: 950 miles SW of Manzanillo, Mexico
- Movement: W or WNW at 10 mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): 10% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: 525 miles ENE of Bermuda
- Movement: NE at 15 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to report
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (25JUL)
- India: Anniversary of K.R. Narayanan becoming the first Dalit president – 1997.
- India: Anniversary of Pratibha Patil becoming the first female president – 2007.
- Pakistan: Remand of four men, accused by the Anti-Narcotics Force in the Ephedrine quota case, will end.