- AFRICA: At least 275 people have died in fighting between South Sudanese government and rebel forces, officials from both sides say.
- AMERICAS: Colombia and Marxist FARC rebels will announce on 24AUG that they have reached a final peace agreement.
- ASIA: The foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea criticized North Korea’s latest submarine missile test during their annual talks.
- EUROPE: At least 37 people have died as a result of a 6.2-magnitude earthquake in mountainous central Italy.
- MIDDLE EAST: Top US diplomat John Kerry arrives in Saudi Arabia later to push for peace in Yemen after UN-brokered talks collapsed.
- TECHNOLOGY: India said French defense contractor DCNS, including documents relating to the French Scorpene submarine being built in the country, appears to have been hacked.
- Syria: Turkey launches offensive operation against Islamic State and Kurds.
- Turkey spearheaded a new US-backed offensive into Syria aimed at capturing the Islamic State’s last stronghold of Jarablus on the Turkish border, sending its troops across the frontier in its biggest military involvement yet in the war against the militants.
- The aim of the operation, codenamed “Euphrates Shield” is to secure territory along its border with Syria from the ISIS threat.
- A dozen Turkish tanks have rolled across the Syrian border after heavy shelling of an area held by so-called Islamic State.
- The operation’s launch coincides with US Vice President Joe Biden’s trip to Turkey to meet President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Turkish officials are also concerned about the growing influence of US-backed Syrian Kurds across the Syrian frontier because of their links to Kurdish insurgents that Turkey considers a national security threat.
- Coverage: BBC, Bloomberg, CNN, NYT, WP
- Democratic Republic of Congo: Opponents of President Joseph Kabila went on strike to demand he step down when his constitutional mandate expires in December. (Reuters)
- Ghana: President John Mahama has decreed the early release of three men convicted over death threats against Supreme Court judges. (Reuters)
- South Sudan: At least 275 people have died in fighting between government and rebel forces, officials from both sides say. (AP)
- Region: Three Central American presidents announced they are forming a joint force to combat gangs and organized crime groups. (AFP)
- Colombia: The government and Marxist FARC rebels will announce on 24AUG that they have reached a final peace agreement. (Reuters)
- Guatemala: The Inter-American Human Rights Commission called on the Guatemalan government to provide protection for a judge involved in high-profile anti-corruption cases. (AP)
- Region: The foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea criticized North Korea’s latest submarine missile test during their annual talks. (AP)
- Australia: A British woman died after she was stabbed at a backpackers’ hostel, where Australian authorities have not ruled out extremism as motivation. (BBC)
- Bangladesh: Police arrested six members of banned Islamist groups blamed for a series of deadly attacks, including the main suspect in the killing of a secular publisher. (AFP)
- Myanmar: Former UN chief Kofi Annan will lead a commission to stop human rights abuses in Rakhine State, where violence between Buddhists and minority Rohingya Muslims has cast a pall over democratic reforms. (Reuters)
- Thailand: Police said one person was killed and several others wounded when two bombs exploded in the predominantly Muslim town of Pattani. (WSJ)
- Region: EU Enlargement Commissioner Johannes Hahn has called on Turkey to address the “open question” of whether it was willing to meet the criteria to join the EU. (Reuters)
- Region: Serbia’s defense ministry says a 20-year old Afghan migrant crossing illegally from Bulgaria has been shot dead, apparently by hunters. (AP)
- Germany: The government has approved the country’s first civil defence strategy in two decades to combat the rising threat of terrorism, cyber warfare and attacks on critical infrastructure. (DPA)
- Italy: At least 37 people have died as a result of a 6.2-magnitude earthquake in the central villages of Pescara del Tronto, Accumoli and Amatrice. (CNN)
- Region: The US reiterated its recommendation that Americans in Gaza leave the territory controlled by Hamas “as soon as possible.” (AFP)
- Region: Top US diplomat John Kerry arrives in Saudi Arabia later to push for peace in Yemen after UN-brokered talks collapsed. (AFP)
- Iran: Russia might use the country’s Hamadan airbase again to carry out attacks on terror targets in Syria, senior Russian defense official Vladimir Komoedov said. (Xinhua)
- Saudi Arabia: Saudi security forces have foiled a planned suicide attack on a mosque in the eastern Qatif region, where many Shi’ite Muslims live. (Reuters)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: The New York Times’s Moscow bureau was the target of an attempted cyberattack this month, with the hackers believed to be Russian. (NYT)
- Technology: India said French defense contractor DCNS, including documents relating to the French Scorpene submarine being built in the country, appears to have been hacked. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Typhoon Lionrock (12W)
- Location: 274 NM ESE of Kadena AB
- Winds: 85 mph
- Movement: SW at 9 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Depression Fourteen
- Location: 396 NM SE of Iwo To, Japan
- Winds: 30 mph
- Movement: N at 25 mph
- Hurricanes: Post-Tropical Cyclone Kay
- Location: 710 NM W of Baja California, Mexico
- Winds: 35 mph
- Movement: NW at 10 mph
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Gaston
- Location: 875 NM W of the Cabo Verde Islands
- Winds: 65 mph
- Movement: WNW at 17 mph
- Earthquakes: 10km SE of Norcia, Italy
- Magnitude: 6.2
- Depth: 10 km
- Earthquakes: 25km W of Chauk, Burma
- Magnitude: 6.8
- Depth: 84.1 km
- Volcanoes: Klyuchevsky, Russia
- Ash eruptions rose 7 km in the air. (Volcano Discovery)
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 12AUG: 180,056 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 12AUG: 67,411
- Deaths as of 12AUG: 50
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 21AUG: 1,792 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 21AUG: 640 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 11AUG: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 11AUG: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 11AUG: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (25AUG)
- Brazil: Senate to vote on impeachment trial of suspended President Dilma Rousseff
- Moldova: Romanian Prime Minister Dacian Ciolos to visit Chisinau (to 26AUG)
- Russia: Slovakian PM Robert Fico to visit Moscow
- Uruguay: Independence Day – 1825