- AFRICA: In South Africa, a court ruled the country’s decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court was unconstitutional.
- AMERICAS: FARC rebels need the UN to reschedule dates for Colombia’s historic disarmament process.
- ASIA: China has nearly finished building structures on artificial islands in the South China Sea that appear designed to house long-range surface-to-air missiles.
- EUROPE: Russia’s Supreme Court canceled the conviction of prominent anti-Kremlin activist Ildar Dadin and ordered his release from jail.
- MIDDLE EAST: More American troops may be needed in Syria to speed the campaign against the Islamic State, top US commander Gen. Joseph L. Votel said.
- TECHNOLOGY: The main social media account of Feminist Voices, a leading feminist organization in China, has been taken down for 30 days.
- North Korea: More North Koreans suspects sought by Malaysian police.
- Malaysian police have named senior North Korean embassy official, Hyon Kwang Song, in connection with the killing of Kim Jong-nam.
- Hyon is wanted for questioning, pointing to possible North Korean government involvement in Kim’s death.
- Evidence of state involvement in Kim’s death could pressure the US to put the North back on its list of countries that sponsor terrorism.
- Other suspects named include Kim Uk Il, who works for the North Korean airline Air Koryo, and a North Korean man identified as Ri Ji U, but no other details were given about him.
- Police also asked Pyongyang to return four other North Korean suspects who are believed to have fled Malaysia to Pyongyang.
- Coverage: BBC, CNN, NYT, VOA
- Region: Britain will provide USD 250M in aid to South Sudan and Somalia to fight growing famine. (Reuters)
- Somalia: The capital Mogadishu was under security lockdown ahead of the inauguration of President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed. (AFP)
- South Africa: A South African court ruled the country’s decision to withdraw from the International Criminal Court was unconstitutional. (DPA)
- Region: Mexico’s incoming ambassador to the US, Geronimo Gutierrez, slammed US President Donald Trump’s treatment of its southern neighbor as “unacceptable”. (Reuters)
- Bolivia: Coca farmers clashed with police in the second straight day of violent protests in La Paz against a Morales government bill to limit legal areas of cultivation. (AFP)
- Colombia: FARC rebels need the UN to reschedule dates for the country’s historic disarmament process. (AFP)
- Region: China has nearly finished building structures on artificial islands in the South China Sea that appear designed to house long-range surface-to-air missiles. (Reuters)
- Region: South Korea denounced Japan for sending a high-ranking official to promote its territorial claim to Seoul’s easternmost islets of Dokdo. (Yonhap)
- Region: China described landmark Taiwan protests against Nationalist troops in 1947 as part of China’s liberation struggle, ahead of commemorations next week for the 70th anniversary. (Reuters)
- Thailand: The army claimed it reached a breakthrough pact with a Muslim separatist group to create a safety zone in restive southern provinces. (Reuters)
- Region: Talks between Turkey and Russia for Ankara to procure a domestic missile defense system have “progressed significantly”, Turkish Defense Minister Fikri Isik said. (Reuters)
- Germany: More Afghan asylum seekers are scheduled to be deported from Munich Airport to Afghanistan. (DPA)
- Russia: The country’s Supreme Court canceled the conviction of prominent anti-Kremlin activist Ildar Dadin and ordered his release from jail. (Reuters)
- Turkey: Turkish authorities detained 35 suspected members of Islamic State in raids across Istanbul. (Reuters)
- Region: Israeli warplanes hit arms depots near the Syrian capital Damascus. (DPA)
- Iraq: Iraqi government-sanctioned forces, made up mainly of Shiite militiamen, launched a new push to capture villages west of Mosul from Islamic State militants. (AP)
- Syria: More American troops may be needed in the country to speed the campaign against the Islamic State, top US commander Gen. Joseph L. Votel said. (NYT)
- Yemen: Yemeni rebels killed a deputy army commander Major General Ahmad Saif Al Yafii in a missile strike. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Communications: The main social media account of Feminist Voices, a leading feminist organization in China, has been taken down for 30 days. (NYT)
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone Eight
- Location: 431 NM SSW of Pago Pago
- Wind: 45 mph
- Movement: ESE at 34 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone Bart
- Location: 617 NM SW of Papeete, Tahiti
- Wind: 40 mph
- Movement: SE at 42 mph
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 17FEB: 480 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Suspected Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 349,936
- Confirmed Cases as of 17FEB: 27
- Confirmed Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 152,250
- Deaths as of 17FEB: 0
- Deaths (01JAN16-31DEC16): 172
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 91 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 10FEB: 1,905 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 10FEB: 677 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 02FEB: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montserrat, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States of America, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 02FEB: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 02FEB: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (23FEB)
- Austria: The 16th Session of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly (PA) to be held in Vienna (to 24FEB)
- Guyana: Republic Day – 1970
- Mexico: US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to visit
- Russia: Defender of the Fatherland Day – 1919
- Syria: UN-sponsored peace talks will resume in Geneva
- Turkey: Fifth session of the Pakistan-Turkey High Level Strategic Cooperation Council (HLSCC) to be held in Ankara
- United States: Peruvian President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski to visit for talks with President Trump (to 27FEB)