- AFRICA: The Niger Delta Avengers militant group pledged to lay down their weapons and resume talks with the Nigerian government.
- AMERICAS: The United Nations announced it will provide material assistance for the Haitian victims of a cholera outbreak brought to the island by peacekeepers.
- ASIA: Philippines President Duterte threatened to withdraw his country from the UN after the organization called for an end to the wave of killings unleashed by his war on drugs.
- EUROPE: Azerbaijani police detained a senior opposition figure for allegedly possessing books by US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen.
- MIDDLE EAST: Iraq hanged 36 men convicted in the 2014 massacre of hundreds of military recruits by Sunni jihadists.
- TECHNOLOGY: Experts warned that up to 15 US states may be vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks on their voting systems in this year’s presidential election.
- Turkey: A terrorist attack on a wedding party in Gaziantep kills dozens
- At least 50 people were killed and at least 90 more were wounded as a result of an explosion.
- The wedding was for a member of the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party.
- President Erdogan expressed that the Islamic State is most likely behind the attack, which authorities report was a suicide bombing.
- This was the deadliest terrorist attack in Turkey so far this year.
- Sources: NYT, WSJ, Guardian, AFP, AP, Reuters
- Cameroon: A suicide bomber detonated explosives at a market near the border with Nigeria, killing at least three people and injuring at least 11 others. (AP)
- Nigeria: The Niger Delta Avengers militant group pledged to lay down their weapons and resume talks with the government. (AFP)
- Somalia: At least 9 people were killed in two explosions, one targeting a local government headquarters and the second a marketplace; the attacks were carried out by Al-Shabaab militants. (AP)
- Haiti: The United Nations announced it will provide material assistance for the more than 800,000 victims of a cholera outbreak brought to the country by UN peacekeepers. (AP)
- Mexico: The son of drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman has been released following his abduction earlier this week. (AFP)
- Nicaragua: A massive refinery fire in Nicaragua caused an oil spill that has contaminated sensitive nearby coastal habitat, a nonprofit group here said. (AFP)
- Afghanistan: About 43 militants, including a Taliban shadow governor, were killed by security forces in the northern province of Kunduz. (Xinhua)
- North Korea: Pyongyang demanded the repatriation of a dozen restaurant workers who jointly fled to South Korea. (AFP)
- Philippines: President Duterte threatened to withdraw his country from the UN after the organization called for an end to the wave of killings unleashed by his war on drugs. (Reuters)
- Region: Turkish President Erdogan assured his Ukrainian counterpart Poroshenko that he would not recognize Crimea’s annexation by Russia, said the Ukrainian presidency in an official statement. (EFE)
- Azerbaijan: Police detained a senior opposition figure for allegedly possessing books by US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, who Turkey accuses of masterminding last month’s failed coup. (AFP)
- United Kingdom: London’s mayor called on fellow members of the Labour Party to replace leader Jeremy Corbyn for his failure to prevent Brexit. (Reuters)
- Egypt: Gunmen shot and killed two policemen and injured three police and two civilians at a checkpoint in the governorate of Menoufiya, north of Cairo. (AP)
- Iran: The country released images of its first domestically built long-range missile defense system, a project started when the country was under international sanctions. (AFP)
- Iraq: The government hanged 36 men convicted over the 2014 massacre of hundreds of military recruits by Sunni jihadists. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Experts warn that up to 15 US states may be vulnerable to cybersecurity attacks on their voting systems in this year’s presidential election. (NPR)
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 13W (Kompasu)
- Location: 96 NM SE Misawa, Japan
- Winds: 34 mph
- Movement: N at 16 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 12W (Lionrock)
- Location: 403 NM ENE of Okinawa, Japan
- Winds: 46 mph
- Movement: WSW at 10 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 10W (Mindulle)
- Location: 422 NM S of Yokosuka, Japan
- Winds: 63 mph
- Movement: N at 21 mph
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Kay
- Location: 270 NM SW of Baja California, Mexico
- Winds: 50 mph
- Movement: NW at 6 mph
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Fiona
- Location: 825 NM ENE of the Leeward Islands, Atlantic Ocean
- Winds: 50 mph
- Movement: NW at 15 mph
- Earthquakes: South Georgia Island region
- Magnitude: 6.04
- Depth: 10 km
- Earthquakes: 170 km ENE of Miyako, Japan
- Occurred on 20AUG at 15:58 (UTC), 6 hours after another quake of same magnitude and epicenter
- Magnitude: 6.0
- Depth: 10 km
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 12AUG: 180,056 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 12AUG: 67,411
- Deaths as of 12AUG: 50
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 25JUL: 1,791 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 25JUL: 640 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 11AUG: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 11AUG: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 11AUG: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (22AUG)
- Europe Region: Italian PM Renzi, German Chancellor Merkel, and French President Hollande to meet on Italy’s Ventotene island to discuss Brexit
- Jordan: Arab Media Festival to be held in Amman
- Kenya: US Secretary of State John Kerry to visit
- Mali: Malian Jihadist Ahmad Al Faqi Al Mahdi to stand trial at the Hague for attack on Timbuktu
- Philippines: Peace talks to be held in Oslo (to 27AUG)
- Russia: Patriots of Russia, Civil Platform, Party of Growth, PARNAS and Yabloko parties to participate in first State Duma election debate on Rossiya 1 channel
- Taiwan: Military to hold annual live-fire drills (to 26AUG)
- Turkmenistan: Anniversary of Declaration of State Sovereignty – 1990