- AFRICA: Fighting over control of Libyan oil resources erupted between the security forces of the country’s rival administrations.
- AMERICAS: An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of New York, injuring 29 people, but authorities report there is no evidence it was an act of terrorism.
- ASIA: A 20-member Taliban group, including a notorious commander, allegedly surrendered to government forces in Helmand province of Afghanistan.
- EUROPE: Russian parliamentary elections are underway, with the governing party expected to retain their position.
- MIDDLE EAST: The death toll among Syrian government troops from US-led coalition airstrikes on Saturday has risen to 90.
- TECHNOLOGY: Former Illinois State Rep. Ron Sandack released a statement revealing that he was the victim of an online extortion ring based in the Philippines.
- Indian Kashmir: Rebels attacked an army camp killing 17 soldiers
- Police said the militants penetrated a camp in the town of Uri, near the border with Pakistan.
- The militants attacked while the soldiers slept, assaulting them with guns and grenades.
- Police reported that four of the attackers were killed in the fight, but the total number of attackers involved in the incident is unknown.
- This was the deadliest attack on a military base in the disputed territory in many years.
- No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh speculates that the attackers were trained and armed by Pakistan.
- Sources: NYT, WP, AFP, AP, Reuters, BBC, DPA
- Libya: Fighting over control of the country’s oil resources erupted in the east between the security forces of the country’s rival administrations. (AFP)
- Mali: Clashes between rival armed groups left at least a dozen fighters dead, despite a 2015 peace agreement. (AFP)
- United States: An explosion rocked the Chelsea neighborhood of New York, injuring 29 people; authorities report that there is no evidence this was a “terrorist” act. (AFP)
- United States: Eight people were injured in a stabbing attack at a Minnesota shopping mall. The attacker allegedly made references to “Allah,” and was killed by police. (AP)
- Venezuela: The country took over the presidency of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) at the 17th NAM Summit. (Xinhua)
- Afghanistan: A 20-member Taliban group, including a notorious commander, allegedly surrendered to government forces in Helmand province. (Xinhua)
- Pakistan: The death toll from Friday’s suicide attack on a mosque in the Mohmand tribal district has risen to 36 people. (AFP)
- Philippines: A Norwegian hostage was freed by the Abu Sayyaf militant group one year after being kidnapped. (AFP)
- France: Former president Jacques Chirac was hospitalized with a lung infection. (AFP)
- Germany: Berlin state elections are underway, with the anti-migrant AfD party expected to make gains. (AFP)
- Russia: Parliamentary elections are underway, with the governing party and its three largely cooperative opponents expected to retain their positions. (AP)
- Israel-Palestine: A Palestinian stabbed an Israeli soldier in a West Bank settlement and was shot by security forces; this is the fifth incident of the kind since Friday. (AFP)
- Saudi Arabia: Two policemen were shot dead while on patrol in Dammam, a predominantly Shi’ite area. (Reuters)
- Syria: Government troops retook most of the positions they were forced to abandon in the face of Saturday’s US-led coalition airstrikes. (AFP)
- Syria: The death toll among government troops from the Saturday airstrikes carried out by the US-led coalition has risen to 90. (DPA)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Former Illinois State Rep. Ron Sandack released a statement revealing that he was the victim of an online extortion ring based in the Philippines. (UPI)
- Cyclone: Typhoon Malakas
- Location: 231 miles W of Kadena Air Base
- Winds: 92 mph
- Movement: NE at 10 mph
- Hurricane: Tropical Depression Seventeen-E
- Location: 380 miles SW of Cabo Corrientes, Mexico
- Winds: 35 mph
- Movement: NW at 16 mph
- Hurricane: Tropical Depression Julia
- Location: 255 miles SE of Charleston, South Carolina
- Winds: 30 mph
- Movement: NW at 3 mph
- Hurricane: Tropical Storm Karl
- Location: 1,350 miles E of the Leeward Islands
- Winds: 40 mph
- Movement: W at 12 mph
- Earthquake: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 09SEP: 187,192 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 09SEP: 67,639
- Deaths as of 09SEP: 53
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 16SEP: 1,806 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 16SEP: 643 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 08SEP: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 08SEP: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 08SEP: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (19SEP)
- Global: United Nations Summit on Refugees and Migrants in New York
- Global: UN plenary high-level meetings
- Mexico: Anniversary of 8.0 Mexico City Earthquake – 1985
- United States: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to visit NYC for UNGA (to 20SEP)