- AFRICA: West African countries are preparing a joint force to intervene militarily in the Gambia if President Yahya Jammeh does not hand over power, a Nigerian military source said.
- AMERICAS: The Colombian government and ELN rebels held their fourth day of talks, seeking to finalize formal peace negotiations.
- ASIA: The search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 ended without any trace being found of the plane that vanished in 2014 with 239 people on board.
- EUROPE: Britain will not seek a Brexit deal that leaves it “half in, half out” of the EU, PM Theresa May will say in a speech which indicates an exit from the single market.
- MIDDLE EAST: Moscow invited representatives of the incoming US Trump administration to attend upcoming Syrian peace talks in Kazakhstan.
- TECHNOLOGY: Facebook is stepping up efforts to head off tougher regulation by Germany, saying it would do more to combat fake news.
- Turkey: Istanbul night club attacker arrested and confesses.
- The arrested Uzbek man suspected of attacking at an upscale Istanbul nightclub, killing 39 people early on New Year’s Day, has confessed, Turkish authorities said.
- The suspect is identified as Abdulgadir Masharipov from Uzbekistan, born in 1983 and educated in Afghanistan.
- Masharipov was arrested in Istanbul’s high-rise Esenyurt district and detained along with four other people.
- An Iraqi man and three women from Africa were also detained along with two pistols, mobile phone SIM cards, and $197,000 in cash.
- Coverage: CNN, NYT, Reuters, WP
- Region: West African countries are preparing a joint force to intervene militarily in the Gambia if President Yahya Jammeh does not hand over power, a Nigerian military source said. (Reuters)
- The Gambia: The country’s ministers for finance, foreign affairs, trade and the environment have resigned from President Yahya Jammeh’s government. (Reuters)
- Rwanda: The nation imposed a temporary ban on all imported poultry products from Uganda and Europe due to the outbreak of the deadly Avian Influenza (bird flu). (Xinhua)
- Region: The US and Cuba agreed to share information on international criminal activity such as terrorism, human trafficking and money laundering. (AP)
- Region: The US handed down fines against the Alliance for Responsible Cuba Policy Foundation and Canadian bank Toronto Dominion for violating the Cuban embargo. (Xinhua)
- Colombia: The Colombian government and ELN rebels held their fourth day of talks, seeking to finalize formal peace negotiations. (Xinhua)
- Region: The search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 ended without any trace being found of the plane that vanished in 2014 with 239 people on board. (Fortune)
- Cambodia: The country cancelled upcoming military exercises with the US, but denied the decision was made to appease regional ally China. (AFP)
- North Korea: The country vowed to stick to its dual pursuit of nuclear weapons and economic growth ahead of an inauguration of US President-elect Donald Trump. (Yonhap)
- Philippines: Communist rebels, the National Democratic Front of the Philippines, said a peace pact was likely not achievable before 2019. (AFP)
- Taiwan: The island began two days of military drills simulating an attack by China amidst deteriorating relations with Beijing. (AFP)
- Region: Italy’s Antonio Tajani was a step closer to becoming the new head of the European Parliament after winning strong coalition support. (AFP)
- Region: EU legislation aimed at fighting terrorism threatens the rights of the people they are designed to protect, Amnesty International warned. (AFP)
- Britain: The country will not seek a Brexit deal that leaves it “half in, half out” of the EU, PM Theresa May will say in a speech which indicates an exit from the single market. (Reuters)
- Germany: The country’s supreme court rejected a bid by lawmakers to outlaw the far-right National Democratic Party party. (AP)
- Switzerland: The World Economic Forum opened in Davos, with Chinese President Xi Jinping calling to fix the problems of globalization. (Bloomberg)
- Iraq: Iraqi special forces pushed into ISIS-held territory in eastern Mosul, seeking to recapture the districts under the group’s control east of the Tigris river. (Reuters)
- Syria: The aim for upcoming Syrian peace talks is to consolidate a ceasefire and involve opposition field commanders, Russian FM Sergei Lavrov said. (Reuters)
- Syria: Twenty Islamic State terrorists were killed and 116 IS targets were hit by Turkish army in Al-Bab within the last 24 hours. (Xinhua)
- Syria: Moscow invited representatives of the incoming US Trump administration to attend upcoming peace talks in Kazakhstan. (WSJ)
- Syria: Government forces clashed with Islamic State group fighters for a fourth day in the eastern city of Deir Ezzor where the assault has left more than 100 dead. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Facebook is stepping up efforts to head off tougher regulation by Germany, saying it would do more to combat fake news. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 13JAN: 349,936 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 13JAN: 152,250
- Deaths as of 13JAN: 172
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 91 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 09JAN: 1,879 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 09JAN: 659 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 05JAN: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montserrat, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States of America, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 05JAN: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 05JAN: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (18JAN)
- Cyprus: Peace talks to resume
- Israel and Iraq: Anniversary of Iraqi Scud Missile attacks on Israel – 1991
- Switzerland: Chinese President Xi to visit the UN Office at Geneva, the WHO, and the IOC
- United States: President Barack Obama will hold the final press conference of his presidency