- AFRICA: According to the Ghanaian government, Ghana and Togo are the next targets for Islamist militants following high-profile attacks this year in Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast.
- AMERICAS: Brazil’s Supreme Court rejected a last-ditch attempt by President Dilma Rousseff to avert an impeachment vote in Congress.
- ASIA: The Afghan military said its air force hit Islamic State militants in the eastern province of Nangarhar, killing at least 40 insurgents.
- EUROPE: Spain’s industry minister resigned after he was named in the Panama Papers and other media revelations that claimed he had links to offshore firms.
- MIDDLE EAST: According to Human Rights Watch, at least 30,000 civilians fled fighting between jihadists and rebels in northern Syria in the past 48 hours.
- TECHNOLOGY: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for curtailing terrorists groups’ misuse of the Internet and social media to radicalize and recruit young people.
- North Korea: Attempted missile test in defiance of UN sanctions fails.
- The country attempted and failed to launch a ballistic missile in defiance of UN sanctions.
- The launch commemorated the 104th anniversary of the birthday of the country’s “eternal president,” Kim Il Sung.
- The attempt involved an intermediate-range Musudan missile.
- According to South Korean and US authorities, the North has another Musudan loaded on a mobile launcher and will likely fire it.
- Coverage: AP, CNN, Reuters, USA Today, WP
- Region: According the Ghanaian government, Ghana and Togo are the next targets for Islamist militants following high-profile attacks this year in Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast. (Reuters)
- Morocco: The leader of Western Sahara’s Polisario Front separatist movement called on the UN to pressure the country to stop interfering with UN peacekeepers. (Reuters)
- Nigeria: The US said the country has made progress in combating Boko Haram although the Islamist militant group is still a threat. (Reuters)
- Brazil: The nation’s Supreme Court rejected a last-ditch attempt by President Dilma Rousseff to avert an impeachment vote in Congress. (Reuters)
- El Salvador: Authorities found the body of Julio Torres, mayor of San Dionisio. (AP)
- Haiti: The country will not meet a deadline to complete its presidential election by 24APR. (Reuters)
- Afghanistan: The Afghan military said its air force hit Islamic State militants in the eastern province of Nangarhar, killing at least 40 insurgents. (AP)
- Japan: Japanese and Russian foreign ministers will hold talks to lay the groundwork for a planned meeting between the countries’ prime ministers. (Kyodo)
- South Korea: The country will set up an anti-terrorism headquarters following a series of high-profile attacks across the world. (Yonhap)
- Germany: Prosecutors said the 15-year-old girl who attacked a policeman in FEB16 was carrying out an operation for the Islamic State group. (AFP)
- Spain: The country’s industry minister resigned after he was named in the Panama Papers and other media revelations that claimed he had links to offshore firms. (AFP)
- Turkey: A two-day summit of leaders from the world’s Muslim countries aimed at narrowing sectarian divisions in crises wrapped up. (AFP)
- Iraq: The third rotation of New Zealand troops departed to Australia to prepare to help train Iraqi soldiers in the fight against the Islamic State group. (IANS)
- Syria: Russia called for the closing of the Turkey-Syrian border to prevent the Islamic State group and the Al-Nusra Front from receiving foreign fighters and weapons. (AP)
- Syria: According to Human Rights Watch, at least 30,000 civilians fled fighting between jihadists and rebels in the country’s north in the past 48 hours. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for curtailing terrorists groups’ misuse of the Internet and social media to radicalize and recruit young people. (Xinhua)
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone 19S (Fantala)
- Location: 529 NM NNE of Port Louis, Mauritius
- Wind: 115 mph
- Movement: W at 10 mph
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: 95km NW of Port-Olry, Vanuatu
- Magnitude: 6.4
- Depth: 16.0 km
- Earthquakes: 5km E of Uto, Japan
- Magnitude: 6.0
- Depth: 10.0 km
- Earthquakes: 7km SW of Ueki, Japan
- Magnitude: 6.2
- Depth: 10.0 km
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 08APR: 39,090 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.)
- Confirmed Cases: 1,959
- Deaths: 2
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 82 (Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, French Guiana, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Ecuador)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 15APR: 1714 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 15APR: 618 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 07APR: Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Aruba, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Saint Martin, Sint Maarten, Dominica, United States Virgin Islands, Saint Vincent and The Grenadines, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Puerto Rico, Bonaire, Curacao, Suriname, French Guiana, Guyana, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, Gabon, Maldives, Bangladesh, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Marshall Islands, Vanuatu, Fiji, Samoa, American Samoa
- Outbreak Terminated as of 07APR: Micronesia, New Caledonia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 07APR: United States of America, France, Italy, Argentina, New Zealand
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (16APR)
- Iran and Europe Region: EU foreign affairs head Federica Mogherini to visit Iran
- South Korea: Anniversary of the sinking of the MV Sewol ferry carrying more than 450 people, leaving 295 passengers and crew dead and 9 more missing. – 2014