- AFRICA: In Burundi, dozens of people were killed in coordinated assaults on two army barracks in the capital Bujumbura.
- AMERICAS: The appointments by Venezuela’s outgoing National Assembly of a general public defender and 12 Supreme Court judges have drawn criticism from the opposition.
- ASIA: Pakistan test-fired a nuclear-capable ballistic missile after the government confirmed it would resume high-level peace talks with arch-rival India.
- EUROPE: Negotiators at the Paris talks aim to wrap up a global agreement to curb climate change on Saturday.
- MIDDLE EAST: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said his country has no intention of pulling out troops from northern Iraq.
- TECHNOLOGY: The UN signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Singapore to work collaboratively on software development in support of UN peacekeeping.
- Iraq: Coalition forces killed senior ISIS financial official.
- The US-led coalition against ISIS says it killed its finance minister.
- A former Al-Qaeda member, Abu Salah was the third senior ISIS financial official to be killed in the past three months.
- US Army Colonel Steve Warren said that a senior leader responsible for coordinating the group’s extortion activities and another leader who acted as an executive officer had also been killed.
- Adam Szubin of the Office of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence described ISIS’s finances – more than $500 million in black market oil sales, as much as $1 billion looted from bank vaults in Syria and Iraq.
- The coalition launched a military campaign – Tidal Wave 2 – which included precision strikes against ISIS’s key energy assets: oil fields, refineries, and tanker trucks.
- Coverage: AFP, CNN, FT, Reuters, VoA,
- Burundi: Dozens of people were killed in coordinated assaults on two army barracks in the capital Bujumbura. (AFP)
- Cameroon: At least 11 people were killed and many others injured in a suicide bomb blast in the far north region of the country. (Xinhua)
- Libya: Rival parties met in Tunis for talks on a disputed UN-brokered deal backed by the international community to set up a unity government. (AFP)
- Haiti: Human rights groups led a protest in the capital calling for new and “fair” elections. (AP)
- United States: The Air Force plans to revise its contract with Raytheon Co for a new ground control network for GPS satellites. (Reuters)
- Venezuela: The appointments by the country’s outgoing National Assembly of a general public defender and 12 Supreme Court judges have drawn criticism from the opposition. (Xinhua)
- Region: PM Narendra Modi hopes the visit this weekend by Japanese PM Shinzo Abe will be a major step in transforming India into an economic powerhouse. (AP)
- Region: Two China Coast Guard ships entered Japanese territorial waters around the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea. (Kyodo)
- Kyrgyzstan: Security services said they had killed two members of what they claim was the cell of an international terror group during a nighttime raid in the capital Bishkek. (AFP)
- Pakistan: The country test-fired a nuclear-capable ballistic missile after the government confirmed it would resume high-level peace talks with arch-rival India. (AFP)
- Region: Negotiators at the Paris talks aim to wrap up a global agreement to curb climate change on Saturday. (BBC)
- Turkey: Security forces have detained a total of 913 Islamic State (IS) militants since January trying to illegally cross through the border. (Xinhua)
- Russia: The country’s top investigative agency has accused exiled tycoon and former prisoner Mikhail Khodorkovsky of involvement in the 1998 killing of a Siberian mayor. (AP)
- Region: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said his country has no intention of pulling out troops from northern Iraq. (AP)
- Israel and the Palestinian Territories: Israeli Forces have arrested an alleged member of Hamas on suspicion of running over four Israeli soldiers. (AFP)
- Syria: At least 22 civilians were killed in a triple suicide car bomb attack in the northeast. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: The UN signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the government of Singapore to work collaboratively on software development in support of UN peacekeeping. (Xinhua)
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone 05S
- Location: 542 NM SSW of Diego Garcia
- Wind: 46 mph
- Movement: SSW at 10 mph
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report.
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report.
- Volcanoes: Kanlaon, Philippines
- Low energy ash eruption this morning. (CNN)
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Cases as of 11DEC: 28,637 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Italy)
- Deaths as of 11DEC: 11,315 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, United States)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, BBC
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 11DEC: 606,183 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.)
- Confirmed Cases: 34,205
- Deaths as of 11DEC: 77 (Colombia, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Grenada, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Dominican Republic)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 11DEC: 1621 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 11DEC: 584 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (12DEC)
- Kenya: Anniversary of Kenya’s independence from the UK – 1963
- Kuwait: Anniversary of Kuwait Embassy Bombings – 1983