- AFRICA: Militants have killed three soldiers in Nigeria’s southern Bayelsa state.
- AMERICAS: On the threshold of Colombia’s historic peace accord with the FARC guerrillas, an opinion poll shows half the Colombian population would reject the agreement.
- ASIA: Former Philippine President Fidel Ramos wants to focus on common interests with China in efforts to smooth relations with Beijing roiled by the South China Sea dispute.
- EUROPE: Turkey warned the US not to sacrifice the two countries’ relations for the sake of the Pennsylvania-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, who Ankara blames for the 15JUL failed coup.
- MIDDLE EAST: A Saudi-led military coalition conducted air strikes on the Yemeni capital Sanaa for the first time in five months, after peace talks broke down.
- TECHNOLOGY: A previously unknown hacking group variously dubbed “Strider” or “ProjectSauron” has carried out cyber-espionage attacks against select targets in Russia, China, Iran, Sweden, Belgium, and Rwanda.
- East China Sea: Japan summons Chinese ambassador over disputed islands.
- Japan warned China that ties were deteriorating over disputed East China Sea islets.
- On Friday, about 230 Chinese fishing boats and coast guard vessels sailed near islands claimed by both countries.
- Japanese FM Fumio Kishida told Chinese Ambassador Cheng Yonghua the ships must leave the area, as repeated Chinese infiltration and unilateral attempt to change the status quo were unacceptable.
- Both China and Japan have seen a hardening of domestic attitudes under the more assertive national leadership of Japanese PM Shinzo Abe and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Coverage: AP, BBC, FT, Reuters
- Angola: The country held talks with North Korea, which defended dual pursuit of nuclear and economic development. (Yonhap)
- Nigeria: Militants have killed three soldiers in the country’s southern Bayelsa state. (AFP)
- Tunisia: The country will not be able to hold local elections in MAR2017, electoral commission chief Chafik Sarsar said. (AFP)
- Region: The US released more than 1,000 pages of newly declassified documents relating to US policy toward Argentina’s “dirty war” of the late 1970s and early 1980s. (WP)
- The Cayman Islands: The country is reporting its first local transmission of the mosquito-borne Zika virus. (AP)
- Colombia: On the threshold of a historic peace accord with the FARC guerrillas, an opinion poll shows half the Colombian population would reject the agreement. (Bloomberg)
- Region: Former Philippine President Fidel Ramos wants to focus on common interests with China in efforts to smooth relations with Beijing roiled by the South China Sea dispute. (AP)
- Japan: The city of Nagasaki marked 71 years since its destruction by a US atomic bomb, with its mayor lauding a visit by US President Barack Obama to Hiroshima earlier this year. (AFP)
- Philippines: The US summoned the charge d’affaires of the Philippine Embassy over “inappropriate comments” made by President Rodrigo Duterte about US Ambassador Philip Goldberg. (Xinhua)
- Thailand: Junta leader PM Prayuth Chan-ocha says elections will be held NOV2017, under a newly approved constitution that will ensure the military’s control over the next government. (AP)
- Region: Russia and Turkey clinched a deal to normalize relations in secret talks in the Uzbek capital Tashkent following mediation by Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev, a report said. (AFP)
- Region: Senior German officials say a thaw in relations between Turkey and Russia is a welcome development, and with no danger of Turkey turning away from NATO. (AP)
- Turkey: The country warned the US not to sacrifice the two countries’ relations for the sake of the Pennsylvania-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, who Ankara blames for the 15JUL failed coup. (AFP)
- Turkey: Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said a total of more than 26,000 people have been detained in connection with last month’s failed coup attempt. (Reuters)
- Region: A Saudi-led military coalition conducted air strikes on the Yemeni capital Sanaa for the first time in five months, after peace talks broke down. (Reuters)
- Iran: Isa Saharkhiz, a prominent Iranian journalist, was sentenced to three years in prison on charges of insulting authorities and spreading propaganda. (AP)
- Israel: World Vision questioned Israeli accusations that tens of millions of dollars in aid were funneled off to the resistance movement Hamas. (AFP)
- Syria: More than two million people in Aleppo are in danger of coming under total siege, the UN warned, calling for immediate access to the heavily bombed city. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: A previously unknown hacking group variously dubbed “Strider” or “ProjectSauron” has carried out cyber-espionage attacks against select targets in Russia, China, Iran, Sweden, Belgium, and Rwanda. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 08W (Conson)
- Location: 360 NM NNW of Enewetak
- Winds: 40 mph
- Movement: WSW at 6 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 07W (Omais)
- Location: 259 NM ENE of Yokosuka, Japan
- Winds: 46 mph
- Movement: N at 13 mph
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Javier
- Location: 30 NM SSE of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Winds: 60 mph
- Movement: NW at 5 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 05AUG: 178,097 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 05AUG: 37,067
- Deaths as of 05AUG: 29
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 26JUL: 1,791 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 26JUL: 640 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 05AUG: American Samoa, Anguilla, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Guinea-Bissau, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United States, Vietnam, Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 05AUG: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Isla de Pascua (Chile).
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 05AUG: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (10AUG)
- Angola: Anniversary of UNITA attack on train that killed 252 people – 2001
- Philippines: Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida to visit (to 12AUG)
- Russia: Armenian President Sargsyan to visit Moscow for talks with Russian President Putin