- AFRICA: The UN said civilians and aid workers in South Sudan have seen an alarming rise in attacks and harassment in the past week.
- AMERICAS: Protesters in Venezuela clashed with police in fourth demonstration in a week against President Nicolas Maduro and his government.
- ASIA: A US Navy carrier strike group has begun moving toward the Korean Peninsula.
- EUROPE: Police in Norway neutralized an explosive device and arrested a suspect.
- MIDDLE EAST: Following a US strike on a Syrian air base, Iran seeks stronger Russia alliance.
- TECHNOLOGY: A computer hack set off all the emergency sirens in Dallas for about 90 minutes.
- Egypt: Dozens of casualties result from a terrorist attack on a Coptic Church
- The explosion occurred in Tanta, about 60 miles north of Cairo, during a service to celebrate Palm Sunday.
- Reports of the death toll are varied, with some claiming up to 22 people were killed in the blast. Conservative estimates confirm that at least 6 are dead, and 66 more injured.
- Eyewitnesses described a scene of carnage.
- The attack was the latest in a series of assaults on Egypt’s Christian minority.
- No one immediately claimed the attack.
- President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi will convene an emergency meeting of the National Defense Council later on Sunday.
- Coverage: NYT, WP, AFP, AP, Reuters, Al Jazeera, CNN
- Algeria: The High Representative of the EU, Federica Mogherini, began a two-day visit to the country to boost bilateral partnership. (Xinhua)
- Somalia: A military court in the semi-autonomous region of Puntland executed five al-Shabaab militants convicted of militancy and murder. (Reuters)
- South Sudan: The UN said civilians and aid workers in the country have seen an alarming rise in attacks and harassment in the past week. (AP)
- Region: Chile’s Foreign Minister, Heraldo Munoz, highlighted the “concrete steps” of the integration “roadmap” between the Pacific Alliance and Mercosur. (Xinhua)
- Paraguay: 24 people have been charged for violence in and around the parliament in recent weeks, including a police officer. (Xinhua)
- Venezuela: Protesters clashed with police in the fourth demonstration in one week against President Nicolas Maduro and his government. (AFP)
- Region: A US Navy carrier strike group has begun moving toward the Korean Peninsula. (Reuters)
- Afghanistan: Insurgents killed at least 13 security forces in separate attacks in Balkh and Jawzjan provinces. (AP)
- North Korea: The country vowed to bolster its defenses to protect itself against US airstrikes, such as the one a Syrian air base several days ago. (AP)
- Norway: Police in Oslo neutralized an explosive device found in the downtown area, and arrested a suspect in the crime. (AP)
- South Ossetia: Polls opened in a presidential election and referendum to rename the country. (TASS)
- Sweden: Police conducted raids in the greater Stockholm area as part of an investigation into yesterday’s truck attack. (DPA)
- Region: Following the US strike on a Syrian air base, Iran seeks stronger Russia alliance. (WSJ)
- Syria: German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel stated it is impossible to resolve the conflict in Syria without Russia. (TASS)
- Syria: The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 35 people were killed in two separate airstrikes in Idlib province. (RFE/RL)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: A hacker group in the US released a password to unlock previously released alleged NSA files. (AP)
- Technology: A computer hack set off all the emergency sirens in Dallas for about 90 minutes. (Reuters)
- Tropical Cyclone Ernie
- Location: 9 S 108.7 E
- Winds: 0mph
- Movement: WSW
- Tropical Cyclone Cook
- Location: 5 S 167.6 E
- Winds: 0mph
- Movement: S
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 07 APR: 15,873 (Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, and Venezuela)
- Suspected Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 349,936
- Confirmed Cases as of 07 APR: 4,438 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, México, Nicaragua, Perú, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases (01JAN16-31DEC16): 152,250
- Deaths as of 07 APR: 6 (Brazil)
- Deaths (01JAN16-31DEC16): 172
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 91 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 05APR: 1,936 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 05APR: 690 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 10MAR: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montserrat, New Caledonia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panamá, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Singapore, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States of America, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, and Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 10MAR: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 10MAR: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (10APR)
- Global: G7 Foreign Ministers’ meeting to be held in Lucca, Italy
- Australia and East Timor: Certain Maritime Arrangements in the Timor Sea (CMATS) agreement between Australia and East Timor to expire
- China: Japanese business delegation visiting (to 12APR)
- Europe Region: Spain to host gathering of southern European Union nations to discuss Brexit
- Judaism: Passover (to 18APR)