- AFRICA: Government forces and rebels in Sudan`s war-torn border regions say they are preparing for another bout of fighting after the failure of latest peace talks.
- AMERICAS: US President Barack Obama vowed America will overcome a new phase of the terror threat that seeks to “poison the minds” of people here and around the world.
- ASIA: Tashfeen Malik, who with her husband shot dead 14 people in California last week, attended one of Pakistan’s most high-profile religious seminaries for women, a teacher at the madrassa said.
- EUROPE: Early results show that Armenian voters have supported constitutional changes giving more presidential powers to the prime minister and parliament.
- MIDDLE EAST: The US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group denied its planes carried out air strikes that killed at least three Syrian regime troops a day earlier.
- TECHNOLOGY: Russia has lost communication with a newly developed military satellite after it apparently failed to separate from the booster rocket after its launch.
- Venezuela: Opposition claims congressional majority for first time in 16 years.
○ Government opponents surged to a rare victory in key congressional elections framed by the country’s deep economic crisis, claiming a legislative majority for the first time in years.
○ The Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) took 99 seats to just 46 for the United Social Party of Venezuela (PSUV).
○ President Maduro has admitted defeat, recognizing “these adverse results”.
○ The government’s defeat was another blow to Latin America’s left following last month’s swing to the center-right in Argentina’s presidential election.
○ Interviews with voters in rich and poor neighborhoods of Caracas, the capital, indicated many past supporters of Chavez and his party were eager for a change.
- Burkina Faso: Gen Gilbert Diendere, the leader of September’s short-lived coup, has been charged with complicity in the 1987 murder of former President Thomas Sankara. (BBC)
- Rwanda: President Paul Kagame said he will decide whether to seek a third term after a referendum on a constitutional change that would a allow him to run again. (Reuters)
- Sudan: Government forces and rebels in the country`s war-torn border regions say they are preparing for another bout of fighting after the failure of latest peace talks. (AFP)
- Argentina: Five Syrians with falsified Greek passports have been arrested in Buenos Aires. (Reuters)
- Brazil: President Dilma Rousseff’s impeachment faced a major hurdle when a special committee formed to decide whether to send the case to the full lower house. (AFP)
- United States: In a rare Oval Office address, President Barack Obama vowed the US will overcome a new phase of the terror threat that seeks to “poison the minds” of people here and around the world. (AP)
- Region: At least seven paramilitary troopers of India’s Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and a civilian were wounded after militants attacked their convoy in Indian-controlled Kashmir. (Xinhua)
- Region: Indian FM Sushma Swaraj will hold talks with Pakistan, as part of efforts to restart a peace dialogue. (Reuters)
- Japan: The country is launching a new diplomatic unit this week to collect and analyse information on international terrorism. (AFP)
- Pakistan: Tashfeen Malik, who with her husband shot dead 14 people in California last week, attended one of the country’s most high-profile religious seminaries for women, a teacher at the madrassa said. (AFP)
- Armenia: Early results show that Armenian voters have supported constitutional changes giving more presidential powers to the prime minister and parliament. (AP)
- France: The country’s far-right National Front (FN) saw record gains in the first round of regional polls. (AFP)
- Germany: The country said it had registered 964,574 new asylum seekers in the first 11 months of the year, with November showing a record in arrivals. (AFP)
- Latvia: PM Laimdota Straujuma announced her resignation, saying there was a need for “new ideas and contributions”. (AFP)
- Region: The Israeli military says its aircraft struck a Hamas target in the Gaza Strip in response to two shooting incidents. (AP)
- Region: Turkish PM Ahmet Davutoglu sent a letter to Iraqi PM Haider Al-Abadi, promising not to deploy more troops to the Bashika area. (Xinhua)
- Syria: The US-led coalition fighting the Islamic State group denied its planes carried out air strikes that killed at least three Syrian regime troops a day earlier. (AFP)
- Syria: NATO has ruled out sending ground troops to fight against Islamic State militants in Syria, NATO General Secretary Jens Stoltenberg said. (Reuters)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Russia has lost communication with a newly developed military satellite after it apparently failed to separate from the booster rocket after its launch. (AFP)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Nothing to Report
- Earthquakes: 109km W of Murghob, Tajikistan
○ Magnitude: 7.2
○ Depth: 28.7 km
- Volcanoes: Colima, Mexico
○ Column of gas and ash. (PVDN)
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
○ Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
■ Cases as of 07DEC: 28,637 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Spain, United Kingdom, United States, Italy)
■ Deaths as of 07DEC: 11,315 (Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, United States)
○ Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
■ Suspected Cases as of 07DEC: 606,183 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten, Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.)
■ Confirmed Cases: 34,205
■ Deaths as of 07DEC: 77 (Colombia, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Grenada, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Jamaica, Dominican Republic)
○ Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
■ Cases as of 07DEC: 1621 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
■ Deaths as of 07DEC: 584 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (08DEC)
- Global: Anniversary of President Clinton signing NAFTA into law – 1993
- Russia: Anniversary of the USSR declared dead – 1991
- Russia and United States: Anniversary of President Reagan and USSR Chairman Gorbachev nuclear agreement – 1987
- Somalia: Anniversary of Operation Restore Hope begins in Somalia – 1992
- Buddhism: Bodhi Day