- AFRICA: At least four police officers were injured in Kenya’s coastal region of Lamu during an Al-Shabaab terror attack.
- AMERICAS: Six people died in eastern Mexico when their homes were buried under landslides caused by heavy rain in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Earl.
- ASIA: The South Korean presidential office rebuked China’s criticism of its decision to deploy an advanced anti-missile defense, urging Beijing to instead play a stronger role against North Korea.
- EUROPE: Austria threatened to block acceleration of Turkish EU talks.
- MIDDLE EAST: The energy minister of Israel said Iran has respected the nuclear deal.
- TECHNOLOGY: The Obama administration is preparing to elevate the stature of the Pentagon’s Cyber Command, signaling more emphasis on developing cyber weapons to deter attacks, punish intruders into US networks and tackle adversaries such as Islamic State, current and former officials said.
- East China Sea: Tensions rise after Chinese ships visit disputed waters.
- Japan summoned Chinese diplomats to protest after coast guard vessels and a fleet of fishing boats approached the disputed islands.
- China published information on military equipment research projects on an official weapon procurement website for the first time.
- China held its first comprehensive nuclear security emergency drill, to test and improve its security-incident response mechanism.
- Japan protested to China over surface radar found installed on one of the Chinese gas drilling platforms in disputed East China Sea.
- Coverage: WSJ, Xinhua, Xinhua-2, Kyodo
- Kenya: At least four police officers were injured in the coastal region of Lamu during an Al-Shabaab terror attack. (Xinhua)
- Nigeria: Gunmen kidnapped two Chinese nationals on a road to the nation’s capital, Abuja. (AFP)
- Zimbabwe: The government is drafting a law to penalize the “abusive” usage of social media with five-year jail terms. (Xinhua)
- Mexico: Six people died in eastern Veracruz state when their homes were buried under landslides caused by heavy rain in the aftermath of Tropical Storm Earl. (BBC)
- US: CDs marked with slain radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki’s name were seized from the home of Detroit man who was arrested after buying five grenades from an undercover agent. (AP)
- Afghanistan: Islamic State militants claimed the capture of American weapons. (Reuters)
- Philippines: President Rodrigo Duterte bared more than 150 judges, military officials, police officers, and lawmakers who are allegedly linked to illegal drugs. (Xinhua)
- South Korea: The presidential office rebuked China’s criticism of its decision to deploy an advanced anti-missile defense, urging Beijing to instead play a stronger role against North Korea. (Reuters)
- Austria: The country threatened to block acceleration of Turkish EU talks. (Reuters)
- Turkey: German politicians slammed President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the mass arrests and political crackdown following last month’s failed coup attempt. (DPA)
- Greece: With Turkey in crisis and Europe’s borders closed, human traffickers are expecting a profitable summer. (AP)
- Iran: President Hassan Rouhani stated talks with the Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan Vladimir Putin and Ilham Aliyev are most important for improvement of stability in the Middle East and Caucasian regions.
- Iran: Shahram Amiri, a nuclear scientist detained since 2010, was executed. (BBC)
- Israel: The energy minister said Iran has respected nuclear deal. (AFP)
- Syria: Rebels end government-imposed siege by pushing into eastern parts of Syria’s Aleppo. (AlJazeera)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Cyber Warfare: The Obama administration is preparing to elevate the stature of the Pentagon’s Cyber Command, signaling more emphasis on developing cyber weapons to deter attacks, punish intruders into US networks and tackle adversaries such as Islamic State, current and former officials said. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 07W (Omais)
- Location: 257NM SE of Chichi Jima
- Winds: 45kts
- Movement: 350 Degrees at 12kts
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Ivette
- Location: 1245 Mi E of Hilo Hawaii
- Winds: 45mph
- Movement: WNW at 12mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 29JUL: 177,585 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 29JUL: 36,962
- Deaths as of 29JUL: 28
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 26JUL: 1,791 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 26JUL: 640 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 05AUG: American Samoa, Anguilla, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Guinea-Bissau, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United States, Vietnam, Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 05AUG: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, and Isla de Pascua (Chile).
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 05AUG: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (08AUG)
- ASEAN Region: ASEAN Day – 1967
- Azerbaijan: Presidents of Azerbaijan, Russia and Iran to meet in Baku to discuss the North-South transport corridor
- Lebanon: Parliament to make 43rd attempt at elect a President
- South Sudan: Potential end of mandate for UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS)