- AFRICA: In central Nigeria, gunmen killed 15 in an attack on a church.
- AMERICAS: Four high-ranking Mexican army officers were ordered to stand trial on charges of protecting a drug cartel
- ASIA: In Afghanistan, a roadside bombing outside Kabul killed at least eight civilians.
- EUROPE: In Turkey, Kurdish rebels abducted three soldiers in the southeast.
- MIDDLE EAST: The Yemeni government restructured some army units to limit the power of a son of former President Saleh.
- TECHNOLOGY: The next version of Apple’s iOs lacks the YouTube sharing app because the license to produce the program had expired.
- Syria: Government regroups following high-level defection
- Acting PM Ghalawanji met with the remaining cabinet following the apparent defection of PM Hijab and rejected reports that other ministers had also defected.
- A US State Department official said the defection was a sign Assad’s regime is crumbling.
- Opposition activists reported heavy fighting and shelling in Aleppo.
- Coverage: BBC, Al Jazeera, LA Times, AP-1, WaPo, Bloomberg, AP-2
- Region: Sudan’s government stated talks with South Sudan would resume on 26 August. (Reuters)
- Egypt: The government vowed to crack down on Sinai militants. (AP)
- Ivory Coast: A raid on an army base in Abidjan killed at least six soldiers. (AFP)
- Nigeria: Gunmen killed 15 in an attack on a church in the central part of the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Sudan: Gunmen attacked a police station and market in Darfur, killing at least four. (Reuters)
- Bolivia: President Morales announced the creation of a “green brigade” to prevent coca harvesting in national parks. (AFP)
- Guatemala: A court ordered the extradition of a suspected drug kingpin. (Reuters)
- Mexico: Four high-ranking army officers were ordered to stand trial on charges of protecting a drug cartel. (AP)
- Afghanistan: A roadside bombing outside Kabul killed at least eight civilians. (NYT)
- Afghanistan: A truck bomb struck an ISAF base in Logar province, injuring at least 12. (AFP)
- Afghanistan: A French soldier was killed in a clash with insurgents in Kapisa province. (AFP)
- Philippines: Fighting continued between rebels and soldiers in the southern part of the country. (AP)
- Albania: The parliament failed to vote through legislation curbing immunity for lawmakers and government officials that the EU had requested as the country seeks to obtain EU candidate status. (AFP)
- Georgia: President Saakashvili visited several Georgian villages near the South Ossetian border and promised their residents that Georgia would return the “occupied” lands and that it would enter NATO and the EU. (Interfax)
- Russia: A suicide bombing in Chechnya killed four and wounded three. (Al Jazeera)
- Spain: Three suspected members of al Qaeda arrested in Spain were planning to launch an attack from the air on a shopping mall in the British territory of Gibraltar during the Olympics. (AFP)
- Turkey: Kurdish rebels abducted three soldiers in the country’s southeast. (AP)
- United Kingdom: UK-based bank Standard Chartered suffered heavy market losses following allegations it laundered money for Iran. (BBC)
- Iran: The foreign ministry stated it was holding the US responsible for the lives of 48 Iranians kidnapped by rebel forces on Saturday. (VoA)
- Iraq: Gun and bomb attacks killed seven and wounded 17 cross the country. (AFP)
- Yemen: Drone strikes killed two suspected al Qaeda militants in the central part of the country. (Xinhua)
- Yemen: The government restructured some army units to limit the power of a son of former President Saleh. (Reuters)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Social Media: The next version of Apple’s iOs lacks the YouTube sharing app because the license to produce the program had expired; Google was reported to be working on a new version. (BBC)
- Cyclones: Typhoon Haikui
- Location: 190 NM NW of Taipei
- Movement: W at 6 mph
- Winds: 75 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm 13
- Location: 640 miles NNW of Wake Island
- Movement: NNW at 8 mph
- Winds: 50 mph
- Hurricanes (Pacific): 80% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: 550 miles SW of Mananzillo, Mexico
- Movement: WNW at 10 mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): Tropical Storm Ernesto
- Location: 225 miles ENE of Isla Roatan, Honduras
- Movement: WNW at 13 mph
- Winds: 65mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): 10% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: 1,150 miles E of the northern Leeward Islands
- Movement: W at 20 mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): 20% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: Few hundred miles SW of Cape Verde islands
- Movement: W at 10 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to report
- Volcanoes: Mt. Tongariro, New Zealand
- This was the first eruption in 115 years and lasted 30 minutes.
- There were no injuries or damage to the area.
- Some nearby residents evacuated and domestic flights near the mountain were cancelled.
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (08AUG)
- Asia: ASEAN Day celebrated.
- Libya: National Transitional Council is expected to transfer power to the General National Congress.
- United States: Anniversary of President Nixon’s resignation – 1974.