- AFRICA: The prime minister of Libya’s UN-backed unity government declared he will not allow foreign troops to enter his country to fight the Islamic State.
- AMERICAS: Colombia’s ex-president criticized the peace agreements reached by the current government and FARC, which he says entail impunity for the guerrillas.
- ASIA: Unidentified attackers hacked to death a Christian man in Bangladesh.
- EUROPE: Polls opened in Switzerland to vote on a proposal to provide the entire population with an unconditional basic income.
- MIDDLE EAST: US-backed Syrian rebels advanced within five kilometers of the Islamic State’s positions in the strategic northern town of Manbij.
- TECHNOLOGY: A Russian company developed technology that would allow employers to intercept their employees’ cell phone conversations.
- Afghanistan: The Taliban attacked a courthouse killing seven people
- The attack took place in Puli Alim, in Logar province, south of Kabul.
- Three gunmen shot the victims at close range.
- The courthouse’s new chief prosecutor was one of seven people killed in the attack; twenty-three other prosecutors were reportedly injured.
- Afghan security forces killed all three gunmen.
- The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, saying that it was in retaliation for the execution of six convicted insurgents last month.
- AFP, AP, Reuters, Al-Jazeera, RFE/RL
- Libya: The prime minister of the country’s UN-backed unity government declared he will not allow foreign troops to enter his country to fight the Islamic State. (AFP)
- Nigeria: Christians demanded that authorities do more to protect them after a woman was stabbed to death for allegedly insulting the Prophet Muhammad. (AP)
- Sudan: Activists, rights groups and opposition leaders called for pro-regime paramilitary “jihad units” operating on college campuses to be dismantled. (AFP)
- Colombia: The nation’s ex-president criticized the peace agreements reached by the current government and FARC, which he says entail impunity for the guerrillas. (EFE)
- Nicaragua: The leftist Sandinista Party nominated President Daniel Ortega to run for a third consecutive presidential term in November. (DW)
- Bangladesh: Unidentified attackers hacked to death a Christian grocer in the country’s northwest. (AFP)
- Bangladesh: Militants shot to death the wife of a police official who is known for battling Islamic extremism. (Reuters)
- Vietnam: Security forces detained dozens of activists at protests calling for greater government transparency over a recent spate of mass fish deaths. (AFP)
- France: The Seine receded in Paris, but residents in the northern Normandy region are still on alert for flooding. (AFP)
- Italy: Polls opened for the first round of local elections with the populist opposition party, the Five Star Movement, expected to see victory in the key race in Rome. (DPA)
- Switzerland: Polls opened on a radical proposal of whether the government will begin to provide the entire population with an unconditional basic income. (AFP)
- Region: A boat that shipwrecked in the southern Mediterranean on 03JUN had set sail from Egypt. (Reuters)
- Iran: Authorities hanged a 21-year-old man who was convicted of raping dozens of women in the city of Shiraz. (AFP)
- Syria: US-backed Syrian rebels advanced within five kilometers of the Islamic State’s positions in the strategic northern town of Manbij. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: A Russian IT security company is facing criticism from authorities and the public for developing technology that would allow employers to intercept their employees’ cell phone conversations. (AFP)
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Post-Tropical Cyclone Bonnie
- 180 miles NNE of Bermuda
- Winds: 35 mph
- Movement: ESE at 16 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Nothing to Report
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 03JUN: 103,571 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 03JUN: 14,164
- Deaths as of 03JUN: 16
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 16MAY: 1,733 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 16MAY: 628 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 26MAY: American Samoa, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (territory of the Netherlands), Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Maarten, Suriname, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 26MAY: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Vanuatu, Vietnam, and Isla de Pascua (Chile).
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 26MAY: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (06JUN)
- China: Uruguayan Foreign Minister Rodolfo Nin Novoa will pay an official visit (to 10JUN)
- China and the US: The 8th China-U.S. Strategic and Economic Dialogue (S&ED) and the 7th China-U.S. High-Level Consultation on People-to-People Exchange (CPE) to be held in Beijing (to07JUN)
- Europe Region: Anniversary of D-Day – 1944
- Europe Region: EU member states to discuss glyphosate approval in Brussels
- India: Anniversary of Indian troops storming Sikh Golden Temple in Amritsar – 1984
- Russia: Finnish FM Soini to visit Moscow