- AFRICA: President Buhari said fraudsters asked the government for money to negotiate the release of the Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram two years ago.
- AMERICAS: Forensic experts exhumed a mass grave made by Mexican authorities in 2014, discovering 117 bodies including at least two children.
- ASIA: Philippine security forces captured an Islamic militant training camp belonging to a group that pledged allegiance to ISIS.
- EUROPE: Finnish police detained a Somali man on suspicion of financing and supporting the Al-Shabaab group in Somalia.
- MIDDLE EAST: The Syrian army pushed into Raqqa province from the southwest.
- China: The government is enforcing strict censorship on the 27th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre
- China tightened security around Beijing’s Tiananmen Square on the anniversary of the deadly 1989 military crackdown on pro-democracy student protesters.
- Human rights groups say activists were detained ahead of the anniversary, and others are under continued surveillance.
- The living relatives of the students killed in the 1989 event have also been under surveillance over the past week.
- The Chinese government forbids debate on the subject of the 1989 event; it is banned from textbooks and censored online. It is believed that hundreds, and possibly thousands, of people were killed by the military on the night of 03JUN-04JUN89.
- Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong were expected to hold a vigil to mark the anniversary. However, the largest student union in Hong Kong announced they will not participate.
- Taiwan’s new president, Tsai Ing-wen, told China that democracy is nothing to fear and that Taiwan could serve as an example to China.
- NYT, Guardian, AP, AFP, Reuters, ABC
- Algeria: Hundreds of Sahrawis in southern refugee camps paid their respects to Western Sahara’s independence leader, Mohamed Abdelaziz. (Reuters)
- Nigeria: President Buhari said fraudsters asked the government for money to negotiate the release of the Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram two years ago. (Reuters)
- Argentina: President Macri was briefly hospitalized for an irregular heartbeat. (AP)
- Mexico: Forensic experts exhumed a mass grave made by Mexican authorities in 2014, discovering 117 bodies including at least two children. (AFP)
- Australia: Authorities disrupted a Mexican and West African organized crime cartel that attempted to import 140 kilograms of methamphetamine into the country. (XIN)
- India: Militants killed two policemen in the Indian-controlled Kashmir’s Anantnag district, the second such terror attack on Indian security forces in the area in the past 24 hours. (XIN)
- Philippines: Security forces captured an Islamic militant training camp belonging to the Maute group, which pledged allegiance to ISIS. (AFP)
- Region: Torrential rain and flooding has 16 people across Europe. In France the Seine has swelled to its highest level in more than three decades; museums are closed and artwork is being evacuated. (AP)
- Finland: The police detained a Somali man on suspicion of financing and supporting the Al-Shabaab group in Somalia. (XIN)
- France: The Defense Ministry announced that five soldiers accused of physical abuse in Central African Republic have been suspended. (AFP)
- Bahrain: Security forces launched a manhunt after a reported 20 prisoners broke out of a jail on the island of Muharraq. (AFP)
- Syria: The Syrian army, with Russian air support, pushed into Raqqa province from the southwest. (Reuters)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Cyclones: Nothing to Report
- Hurricanes: Tropical Storm Bonnie
- 335 miles E of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina
- Winds: 40 mph
- Movement: E at 12 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Turrialba volcano, Costa Rica
- Ash plume rose to 2000 meters, with ash falls noted in downwind areas.
- Volcano Discovery
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 03JUN: 103,571 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 03JUN: 14,164
- Deaths as of 03JUN: 16
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 16MAY: 1,733 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 16MAY: 628 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 26MAY: American Samoa, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (territory of the Netherlands), Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Maarten, Suriname, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 26MAY: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Micronesia (Federated States of), New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Vanuatu, Vietnam, and Isla de Pascua (Chile).
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 26MAY: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (05JUN)
- Global: United Nations Oceans Conference (to 09JUN)
- Global: World Environment Day – 1972
- Jordan: Anniversary of the Great Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire – 1916
- Mexico: Elections in Tamaulipas state
- Middle East Region: Anniversary of Six-Day War/June War – 1967
- Peru: Second round of presidential elections
- Qatar: Indian PM Modi to visit
- Switzerland: Indian PM Modi to visit (to 06JUN)