- AFRICA: Gabonese intelligence allegedly wiretapped EU election observers who voiced doubts over the outcome of the country’s disputed 27AUG election.
- AMERICAS: FARC announced they will forfeit all their assets to fund reparations for the victims of the Colombian civil war.
- ASIA: The terrorist group Abu Sayyaf released three Indonesian hostages in the southern Philippine province of Sulu.
- EUROPE: Polling is underway for a Hungarian government-sponsored anti-migrant referendum.
- MIDDLE EAST: The Syrian army made territorial gains over the rebel forces in Aleppo and seized control over several industrial factories.
- TECHNOLOGY: US Secretary of Homeland Security reported that hackers have probed the voting systems of many US states, but there is no sign that they have manipulated voting data.
- United Kingdom: PM May says Brexit will commence by the end of MAR17
- In an interview with the BBC, the prime minister confirmed a deadline for triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which will set in motion a two-year process of withdrawal from the EU.
- The pledge means the UK will leave the EU by spring 2019, before the next general election.
- Prior to this announcement, many observers speculated that the UK would hold off triggering Article 50 until the French presidential elections, planned for MAY17.
- PM May also announced she will ask Parliament to repeal the European Communities Act, the measure that makes EU law British law. She said her government would then incorporate EU laws into British law on a case-by-case basis.
- PM May called on all parties in the UK and Europe to work together to ensure a smooth transition.
- Sources: BBC, Guardian, WSJ, AFP, AP
- Democratic Republic of Congo: The president of the country’s electoral commission says a national election, originally scheduled for NOV16, will likely be postponed until the end of 2018. (AP)
- Egypt: Suspected Islamic State militants ambushed a taxi carrying off-duty policemen in the coastal Sinai city of el-Arish; five policemen were killed. (AP)
- Ethiopia: Protesters chanted anti-government slogans during a festival in a town in the Oromiya region, south of the capital Addis Ababa, and were dispersed by police. (Reuters)
- Gabon: National intelligence allegedly wiretapped EU election observers who voiced doubts over the outcome of the country’s disputed AUG16 election. (AFP)
- Kenya: The Daily Nation, one of the nation’s top selling newspapers, reported that police killings in the country are on the rise. (Reuters)
- Region: Haiti and Jamaica began evacuating people from areas expected to be affected by Hurricane Matthew, and the United States prepared to evacuate citizens from the Guantanamo Bay naval base. (Reuters)
- Colombia: FARC announced they will forfeit all their assets to fund reparations for the victims of the civil war. (Reuters)
- El Salvador: A judge ordered prosecutors to reopen a probe into the army’s slaying of hundreds of people in the village of El Mozote during the country’s 1979-1992 civil war. (AP)
- Region: Iranian and Pakistani naval forces staged a joint naval exercise in the Pakistani territorial waters near the port of Karachi. (Xinhua)
- Australia: The nation’s foreign minister raised the prospect of a Lockerbie-style prosecution for the people responsible for the downing of flight MH17, who she says will be identified by early 2017. (AFP)
- Philippines: The terrorist group Abu Sayyaf released three Indonesian hostages in the southern province of Sulu. (Xinhua)
- Azerbaijan: Pope Francis arrived in the country for a brief visit aimed at encouraging inter-religious harmony. (AP)
- Hungary: Polling is underway for a government-sponsored anti-migrant referendum, initiated to counter a European Union plan to distribute asylum seekers among its member states. (Xinhua)
- Russia: The interior ministry opened a criminal probe after an intruder shot a security guard in a Moscow synagogue with an air pistol. (AFP)
- Region: The Saudi-led coalition launched operations against Houthi militia boats that struck a civilian ship on a humanitarian voyage in a Red Sea shipping lane. (Reuters)
- Israel-Palestine: Israel approved the construction of 98 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank and an industrial zone near Palestinian political capital Ramallah. (AFP)
- Syria: The Syrian army made territorial gains over the rebel forces in Aleppo and seized control over several industrial factories. (Xinhua)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: US Secretary of Homeland Security reported that hackers have probed the voting systems of many US states, but there is no sign that they have manipulated voting data. (Reuters)
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm Chaba
- Location: 462 NM SSE of Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan
- Winds: 120 mph
- Movement: NW at 18 mph
- Hurricane: Hurricane Matthew
- Location: 350 miles SE of Kingston, Jamaica
- Winds: 150 mph
- Movement: NNW at 6 mph
- Earthquakes: Nothing to Report
- Volcanoes: Colima, Mexico
- Ash eruption and lava flow. (BBC)
- Global Disease Outbreaks:
- Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
- Chikungunya Virus Disease (CHIK)
- Suspected Cases as of 30SEP: 195,809 (Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curacao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Montserrat, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (French), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Sint Maarten (Dutch), Spain, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, UK Virgin Islands, United States of America, US Virgin Islands, Uruguay, and Venezuela)
- Confirmed Cases as of 30SEP: 107,481
- Deaths as of 30SEP: 108
- Deaths (01JAN15-31DEC15): 74 (Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Puerto Rico)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
- Novel Coronavirus (MERS-CoV, SARS-related)
- Cases as of 16SEP: 1,806 (Saudi Arabia (KSA), Jordan, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), the United Kingdom (UK), France, Tunisia, Italy, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Malaysia, Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Iran, Algeria, Austria, Turkey, The Philippines, Germany, China, South Korea, and the US)
- Deaths as of 16SEP: 643 (Saudi Arabia, France, Qatar, United Kingdom, UAE, Oman, South Korea)
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2
- Zika Virus
- Reported autochthonous Transmission as of 22SEP: American Samoa, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia (Plurinational State of), Bonaire (Netherlands), Brazil, Cayman Islands, Cabo Verde, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Curaçao, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, French Guiana, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Jamaica, Marshall Islands, Martinique, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sint Eustatius and Saba (Netherlands), Sint Maarten, Suriname, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos, United States, Vietnam, United States Virgin Islands, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of).
- Outbreak Terminated as of 22SEP: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Cook Islands, French Polynesia, Gabon, Isla de Pascua (Chile), Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu.
- Locally Acquired Without Vector Borne Transmission as of 22SEP: Argentina, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Peru, Portugal, Spain, and the United States of America.
- Sourcing: WHO, WHO-2, CDC, CDC-2
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (03OCT)
- Global: World Habitat Day – 1985
- Estonia: Extraordinary presidential election will to be held in the 101-seat Riigikogu parliament
- Germany: German Unity Day – 1990
- Iraq: National Iraqi Day – 1932
- Korean Peninsula: United States and South Korea to hold Red Flag exercise in Alaska to practice strikes against North Korean nuclear facilities (to 21OCT)
- Palestinian Territories: Supreme court to rule on holding municipal elections on 08OCT
- Russia: Trial to begin for accused killers of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov
- Islam: Muharram