- AFRICA: The leader of Nigeria’s Boko Haram denied reports that the militant group was involved in peace talks with the government
- AMERICAS: Peace talks between the Colombian government and the FARC were delayed one week
- ASIA: The Japanese Coast Guard reported four Chinese government ships were in waters off of the disputed Senkaku Islands.
- EUROPE: Preliminary results of Georgia’s parliamentary elections indicated an unexpected victory for the opposition party coalition.
- MIDDLE EAST: Yemeni security forces killed four suspected al Qaeda militants in Aden.
- TECHNOLOGY: The judge in the Apple vs. Samsung copyright case rescinded a ban on US sales of Samsung Galaxy phones.
- Syria: Government accused US of supporting terrorism, UN warned over chemical weapons, fighting continued
- Egypt: Amnesty International called on the government to deal with a legacy of abuse by the police and military that continued after the ouster of President Mubarak. (AP)
- Kenya: Suspected al Shabaab militants attacked a police post in Garissa. (Reuters)
- Nigeria: The leader of Boko Haram denied reports that the militant group was involved in peace talks with the government. (Reuters)
- Rwanda: The US called on the government to denounce the M23 rebel group in the Congo. (Reuters)
- Somalia: Government troops deployed throughout the former rebel bastion of Kismayu. (Reuters)
- Region: Barbadian FM Mcclean said the Caribbean Community and Common Market sub-region has “become a major transit and destination point for the trafficking of illicit drugs and firearms.” (Xinhua)
- Colombia: Peace talks between the government and FARC were delayed one week. (AP)
- Guatemala: Authorities arrested a suspected Sinaloa cartel member in Guatemala City. (EFE)
- Venezuela: President Chavez vowed to enact a stronger drive towards socialism if re-elected. (AP)
- Region: The Japanese Coast Guard reported four Chinese government ships were in waters off of the disputed Senkaku Islands. (AFP)
- Afghanistan: The ISAF reported a Haqqani leader suspected of supporting a suicide bombing was arrested in Logar province. (Xinhua)
- Bangladesh: Security officials are on alert around official camps of Rohingya Muslims following weekend attacks on minority Buddhists and their temples in the area. (AP)
- Korea, North: The government accused US policy of risking nuclear war. (Bloomberg)
- Philippines: Government and MILF representatives resumed peace talks in Malaysia. (AFP)
- Georgia: President Saakashvili conceded defeat in parliamentary elections, in which the opposition Georgian Dream took 53.19% of the vote compared to the ruling party’s 41.5%. (WSJ)
- Greece: The government unveiled a draft budget designed to satisfy the troika of inspectors from the EC, the IMF and the ECB. (WSJ)
- Spain: Analysts reported uncertainty over a possible bailout for the government. (Reuters)
- Iran: A foreign ministry spokesman stated there was “no ground” for a restoration of US-Iranian relations. (Xinhua)
- Iran: Israeli Strategic Affairs Minister Yaalon stated sanctions were not preventing Iran’s nuclear program. (AFP)
- Jordan: Clashes erupted between security forces and displaced Syrians in northern Jordan after dozens rioted over living conditions in the country’s only camp for Syrians. (DPA)
- Yemen: Four suspected al Qaeda militants were killed in a clash with security forces in Aden. (Xinhua)
- Yemen: DM Ahmed survived an assassination attempt. (Xinhua)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Smartphones: The judge in the Apple vs. Samsung copyright case rescinded a ban on US sales of Samsung Galaxy phones. (Ars Technica)
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm Maliksi
- Location: 235 NM SSE of Iwo-To, Japan
- Movement: NW at 15 mph
- Winds: 60 mph
- Cyclones: Tropical Storm Gaemi
- Location: 460 NM E of Hue, Vietnam
- Movement: SE at 5 mph
- Winds: 60 mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): Tropical Storm Nadine
- Location: 685 miles WSW of the Azores
- Movement: ESE at 6 mph
- Winds: 65 mph
- Hurricanes (Atlantic): 60% chance of tropical cyclone formation
- Location: 800 miles WSW of the Cape Verde islands
- Movement: WNW at 10-15 mph
- Earthquakes: Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
- Magnitude: 6.2
- Depth: 9.7 km
- Volcanoes: Nothing to report
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (03OCT)
- Asia: Pakistan Army Chief Kayani visits Moscow to improve relations.
- Europe: Anniversary of Poles surrender after Warsaw uprising – 1944.
- Germany: Unity Day celebrated – 1990.
- Iraq: Independence Day celebrated – 1932.
- United States: First presidential debate takes place.