- AFRICA: US Army General Ham said terrorist groups across Africa seek opportunities to coordinate.
- AMERICAS: Mexican Defense Secretary Galvan urged regional forces to improve responses to natural disasters.
- ASIA: Secretary Clinton reaffirmed the US commitment to Sino-American cooperation.
- EUROPE: The European Central Bank introduced the second set of loans to banks.
- MIDDLE EAST: An Egyptian travel ban on American pro-democracy activists was lifted.
- TECHNOLOGY: Foursquare partnered with OpenStreetMap project.
- North Korea agreed to a moratorium on nuclear activity.
- The moratorium stipulated that IAEA have access to the nuclear program.
- The US planned to send 240,000 metric tons of food assistance as part of the agreement.
- China supported the agreement.
- Japanese FM Gemba urged “concrete” action on six-party talks.
- EU chief Ashton hailed the agreement as a “step in the right direction.”
- Coverage: AFP, AFP-2, VOA, VOA-2
- Syrian opposition formed military bureau.
- The Syrian National Council expressed a desire to coordinate the delivery of foreign arms by centralizing power in a military bureau.
- International mediator Kofi Annan reiterated that the “killing and violence must stop.”
- Venezuelan Oil Minister Ramirez said his government would send fuel to Syria if requested by the regime.
- Kuwaiti MPs pressed for arming the opposition.
- Britain closed its embassy in Syria.
- China and Russia voted against the UN HRC resolution condemning human rights violations.
- Coverage: AFP, AFP-2, AP, AFP-3, AFP-4, Xinhua
- Region: The crippled Costa Allegra moored in the port of Mahe, Seychelles. (AFP)
- Region: US Army General Ham said terrorist groups in Somalia, Nigeria, and Northwest Africa seek opportunities to coordinate training, financing, and terror activities. (AP)
- Sudan: South Sudan accused the Khartoum government of bombing inside its territory and sending troops to contested border areas. (AFP)
- Region: As leader of the Conference of American Armies, Mexican Defense Secretary Galvan called upon regional forces to improve responses to natural disaster. (EFE)
- Region: Spanish PM Rajoy set forth basic principles for the upcoming Ibero-American Summit to set a foundation for “absolute equality”: liberty, democracy, and respect for human rights. (EFE)
- Region: Secretary Clinton expressed concern over allegations that Latin American drug trafficking organizations are linked to Hezbollah and/or Iran. (Xinhua)
- Haiti: President Martelly asked FM Lamothe to form a new government. (AFP)
- Afghanistan: An Afghan soldier and a civilian killed two NATO troops. (AFP)
- Pakistan: An army operation in Orakzai killed 22 militants and injured 28 others. (Xinhua)
- Philippines: Washington pledged $144 million and a warship to assist the country’s defense. (AP)
- Vietnam: Deputy Minister of National Defense Chi Vinh said Vietnam expects to receive various forms of EU assistance in efforts to renew cooperation. (Xinhua)
- Region: EC released a report highlighting that Ireland may need to further alter its budget if its economy continues to deteriorate. (Reuters)
- Region: The European Central Bank unleashed the second round of stimulating loans worth 530bn Euros. (FT)
- Finland: Sauli Niinisto was sworn in as Finland’s new president. (AP)
- Russia: Secretary Clinton urged the US Congress to grant permanent normal trade relations to Russia. (Xinhua)
- Egypt: Washington confirmed an arrested jihadist named Mohammed Ibrahim Makkawi was not the identified al-Qaeda leader Saif al-Adel as initially reported. (AP)
- Egypt: The travel ban on American pro-democracy activists was lifted. (Reuters)
- Iraq: An American teacher was murdered by a student in a murder-suicide at a private Christian school in the Kurdish region. (AFP)
- Yemen: Al-Qaeda militants kidnapped a Colonel in the Abyan province. (AFP)
TECHNOLOGY AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Technology: Foursquare parted with Google Maps in favor of establishing a partnership with MapBox, which uses data from the crowd-sourced OpenStreetMap project. (Mashable)
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone 15S (Fifteen)
- Location: 490 NM SW of Diego Garcia
- Movement: WSW at 08 knots
- Winds: 35 knots
- Cyclones: Tropical Cyclone 14S (Irina)
- Location: 225 NM WNW of Antananarivo, Madagascar
- Movement: SSW at 04 knots
- Winds: 60 knots
- Hurricanes: Nothing to report.
- Earthquakes: Nothing to report.
- Volcanoes: Nothing to report.
TOMORROW’S OUTLOOK (02MAR)
- Europe: EU holds special meeting at the summit on currency.
- Iran: Parliamentary elections held.
- Pakistan: Senate elections held.
- Pakistan: Anniversary of federal minister Shahbaz Bhatti’s assassination – 2011.
- Togo: Rights groups protest demanding for government to resign.